Students who work toward a graduate degree must first be admitted to the Graduate School. Students with bachelor's degrees in health, physical education, recreation, exercise sciences, and sport management from KU or institutions with equivalent requirements are eligible for admission. Students with strong minor programs at the baccalaureate level also may be admitted to the program, depending on an evaluation of their transcripts for applicable courses. Students with undergraduate degrees in outside areas may be admitted, but may be required to enroll in additional prerequisite courses.
- June 30 for Fall admission.
- November 30 for Spring admission.
- April 30 for Summer admission.
Admission Deadlines to be considered for a GTA/GRA position
- March 15 for Summer and Fall admission
- October 15 for Spring admission
Minimum Admission Requirements (M.S.E and Ph.D. )
- Application Form, fill out and submitted online to the Graduate school at http://www.graduate.ku.edu/apply.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Official visit for Doctoral and Master's Thesis programs
- 3.5 GPA, regular doctoral admission (3.0 - 3.49 GPA, provisional admission)
- 3.0 GPA regular masters admission (2.75 - 2.99 GPA, probationary admission)
Additional Admission Requirements
Send the following admission materials to:
University of Kansas,
HSES Graduate Admissions,
1301 Sunnyside Ave, 104 Rob,
Lawrence, KS 66045
- One official transcript from each undergraduate and graduate school attended. Note: A final degree transcript will also be required if you submit your application before you graduate from your undergraduate or masters program. (example: submit in March, graduate in May).
- GRE Scores (Codes: University-6871 Department-3909)
- M.S.E Admission: 150 on the verbal section,141 on the quantitative section, and 4.0 on the written analytical section.
- Ph.D. Admission: 153 on the verbal section,144 on the quantitative section, and 4.5 on the written analytical section.
- Assistantship Application (if person is applying for a GTA/GRA position).
Admission committees, made up of faculty in the specialization areas, will review all completed applications. Due to limited spaces in the specialization areas, meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to the HSES graduate program.
International Student Information
International students are required to provide evidence of English Proficiency prior to admittance to the Graduate program, there will be no exceptions. Acceptable exams are TOEFL written score of 570 with all sections 57 or above; TOEFL computer score of 230 with all sections 23 or above and 40 on the essay or TOEFL internet score of 88 with all section 23 or above and 19 on essay; or IELTS with a band copy sent to the HSES Graduate Admissions office.
International students are not offered assistantships or other financial aid during their first year of study. You should be able and prepared to finance the entire stay. You will need to provide an official bank statement that you have $26,100 in a bank account to support your studies at the University of Kansas. If someone else will be supporting you, we will need a bank statement and a letter signed by that person indicating that they will be responsible for you financially.
Admission applications for HSES graduate programs, non-degree & re admittance may be found at the Office of Graduate Studies.